Monday, February 4, 2013

Palermo, Sicily

Palermo is the capital of Sicily and the most populated city on the island.  I went on a Sunday and found that some museums and exhibits either close early or don't open on Sunday.  I did not get a chance to see Capuchin Catacombs, so I will have to add catacombs to my list of things to do in Rome. However, I did get to tour Teatro Massimo, the largest opera house in Italy and the 3rd largest in Europe.  There is no photography inside the theatre and so the picture below from the inside is taken from website: www.associazionepercorsi.com  For fans of the film trilogy The Godfather, you may recognize it from certain scenes.

From the Teatro Massimo, the Palermo Cathedral is within walking distance.  The church was erected in 1185 by Walter Ophamil who is buried in a sarcophagus in the church's crypt.  Walking up to it the sight is breathtaking to say the least and it almost still leaves me speechless when I try to write about it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment