Saturday, February 2, 2013

Giardini-Naxos, Sicily


So the town I stayed for the first few days is Giardini-Naxos a small beach community in the province of Messina.  They don't speak very much English out here so I've been using a lot of hand gestures to ask questions.  The other day I stumbled upon a sign in all Italian that was clearly for some kind of archaeological museum.  Just my luck, it happened to be the preserved site of the first Greek colony in Sicily.  Amazing place.  Acres of land with citrus trees, mulberry, Italian cyprus, palm trees, and the foundations of an ancient civilization still present.  The colony settled in around 800 BC and only lasted 300 years.  However after they were attacked by Syracuse and forced off the land, nothing was ever done with the area again since.  My thoughts on the preservation is that it was a very spiritual experience and I say that because I was the only person on that land for acres and acres and so I guess you could say it was just me, God and the ancient spirits.  


]

No comments:

Post a Comment